Since the mid 1990's I have been actively involved with the Queensland Police Department, conducting Self-Awareness Training Programs for High Schools within the local area. My belief is that that this Self-Awareness training has a much more profound impact on the individual, and is hoped it will give them the self confidence to be an active and creative participant in their own lives.
The program looks at the children's ability to think rather than fight, that by becoming aware of the choices that they make, their posture and attitude that no longer fit the criteria of being a "victim", they then realise that they can take control of their actions with a large degree of certainty.
The schools usually selects the particular children for the programs, one's who may lack the self-confidence and/or self-esteem or may simply be victims from school bullies. Class sizes are flexible and we can usually work in with the schools. Parents and teachers are also invited to attend and participate during the training program, this allows the parents to not only see what is being taught, but also allows the training to continue at home.
This course places no stress on the children to learn but rather presents them with different points of view, showing that they do have choices and how they think of themselves does effect how others think of them.
It is a stress free learning environment which allows the children to discover that they are smart and can achieve anything they want to set their minds to.
Duration: The courses are tailored to fit the schools needs. Most schools have preferred the course to be conducted over an 8 - 10 week period ( one school term ) for approximately 90 minutes a week. Other schools - 2 hours a week for 4-5 weeks.
Ages: Over the years we have conducted this program from year 4 students up to years 12. We have found that we have achieved successful results across the board and the program is open to all ages.
Topics: Listed below is a broad outline of the topics covered.
- Self defence or defending one's self.
- The Mind leads the Body.
- Correct posture. Standing and walking.
- Vision (do your eyes help or hurt you).
- Moving your partner's mind.
- The power of Words.
- Understanding and communication.
- Thought process and mindsets.
- Aikido - Philosophy and principles.
- Un-bendable arm.
- How to approach a situation.
- How much at risk are you?
- Different way to defending yourself.
- Kiai - controlled power shout.
- How energy moves and works.
- Commitment - not size or strength
Fees to cover the cost of the training have previously been raised through the Police via sponsorship or donations. We are always looks for sponsors to help support this worthwhile program to help support the children. Any businesses wishing to support or contribute donations please contact Sgt Richard Clark at the Redcliffe Police Station North Brisbane on (07) 3283 0555
"Loyalty and devotion lead to bravery. Bravery leads to the spirit of self-sacrifice".
The spirit of self-sacrifice creates trust in the power of love."
It has been based on a book, which is currently available only in Japanese written by Otsuka Sensei under Tohei Sensei's supervision.
There are 25 questions, for a total possible score of 100 points.
Score 4 points for each question to which you can honestly answer YES, 2 points for SOMETIMES, and 1 point for NO. The purpose of the test is self-reflection, not prediction.
- I always maintain a positive attitude.
- I perform well under pressure.
- I am free of jealousy and envy.
- I do not speak ill of other people behind their back.
- I am energetic and self-starting.
- I have no stress from human relations or my work.
- I am a good listener.
- I am not easily swayed by other's opinions.
- I do not argue or get upset over little things.
- Strangers do not easily seduce me.
- I do not hang around dangerous places.
- I am good at focusing on the tasks at hand.
- I am cooperative and helpful.
- I am sensitive to the needs of others.
- I have good self-control.
- I do not lose or forget things.
- I show respect and good manners.
- I am a safe and good driver.
- I am healthy and free of disease.
- I am confident in my health.
- I believe that health comes from positive ki.
- I eat well and sleep well.
- I am not accident-prone.
- I walk with a clear sense of purpose.
- My body is flexible.
Scoring: YES = 4 points
SOMETIMES = 2 points NO = 1 point
70 - 100 Low risk. You have an excellent attitude for self-protection.
40 - 70 Moderate risk. You have normal to above-average protection.
0 - 40 High risk. You need to improve your thinking and lifestyle for your own protection.